Growing up, it wasn't a summer cookout without my mom's barbecue beans. Today we're sharing her recipe with our CommuniTEA with a Saratoga Tea & Honey twist!
The original recipe calls for molasses, but why use molasses when you can use Buckwheat Honey? In case you haven't noticed, subbing honey for sugar and sugar products is a reoccurring theme around here! We tested the recipe on a large group ranging in age from 1.5 to 50, and it was a hit with all demographics. I was very disappointed to have zero leftovers!
This recipe makes a lot of beans, so we recommend breaking it out for large summer parties when you need a robust side.
Now, without further ado!...
BBQ Honey Bean Bake (AKA Bev's Barbecue Baked Beans)*
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Large White Onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. Bacon
- 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 4 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2, 16 oz cans Red Kidney Beans
- 2, 16 oz cans Baked Beans
- 1, 16 oz can Butter Beans
- 1, 16 oz can Green Lima Beans (may substitute Butter Beans)
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 4 Tbsp. Buckwheat Honey
- 3/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- Brown beef and onion, then drain any liquid.*
- Cook the bacon using your desired method, then break into small pieces. Our preferred method is 15 minutes in the oven at 425° F.
- Combine beef, onion, bacon, and all remaining ingredients. Do NOT drain beans; just dump them right on in!*
- Pour into baking dishes and bake at 350° F for 1 hour uncovered. Or cook in your slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
Yields: 20-24 servings
*A Note for Vegetarians
You can absolutely make this bean bake vegetarian! A few things to watch out for. Lots of canned baked beans are sneaky and have bacon in them, even if they don't specifically say bacon, so definitely opt for the Vegetarian Baked Beans.
When I make this, I usually make the onion separate from the ground beef so I can mix everything except the meat together and then portion out what I need for vegetarian guests. Then I add the meat in to the remaining. You can also of course use the vegan meat substitutes of your choice!