Hello, Honey Butter Chai Muffins!
Monette of @thesecretgf created the perfect breakfast muffin for any morning where there might be a little chill in the air. This recipe proves that baking with tea is as simple as infusing it into a liquid and/or a fat component to transfer its complex flavors. We love to consider tea as not only a beverage, but as an ingredient to enhance cookies, muffins or cakes! And, as the pièce de resistance, our Cranberry Blossom Honey from the cranberry bogs of Wisconsin is simply whipped with butter for an extra treat. Enjoy!
½ c almond milk
½ c coconut oil
1 T Masala Chai Tea
1 c all-purpose GF flour blend
1 c oat flour
2 t xanthan gum (reduce to 1 tsp if your flour blend lists this as an ingredient)
½ t salt
1 t baking soda
1 c agave
¼ c butter (Use Earth Balance to make it dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers.
- In a small saucepan, add the almond milk, coconut oil and tea. Keep at a low heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes to infuse the tea into the milk and oil.
- While the tea is infusing, combine the dry ingredients (flours, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Once the tea has infused for 20 minutes, pour the almond milk and oil mixture into your mixing bowl through a fine mesh strainer to catch the tea leaves. Discard the leaves.
- Add the agave and eggs to the mixing bowl and whisk until everything is combined and you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter in the muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- When done, take out of the oven and wait until the muffins are cool enough to handle, then remove them from the muffin tin to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the honey butter by using an electric beater to whip together the honey and butter.