Specially developed to celebrate Mother's Day, we created this elegant scone recipe using our lavender infused honey and Fairtrade Earl Grey tea. Pair this scone with our classic Fairtrade Earl Grey or a beautiful black tea such as Jin Die or English Breakfast Assam.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 T Fair Trade Earl Grey
- 1 c whole milk + 1 tablespoon
- 2 T finely ground Fair Trade Earl Grey
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 3 T Lavender Honey
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 4 T unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2 to 3 T Fair Trade Earl Grey (1/3 cup boiling water)
- 1 T Lavender Honey
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
To Make the Scones:
- The night before, mix Fair Trade Earl Grey and milk in a glass jar.
- Let the mixture steep overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day strain the tea from the milk.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Make buttermilk by adding the 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to milk, let it set while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tea, flour, baking soda and salt. Toss the butter with the flour until it’s evenly coated. Work gently the butter throughout the flour, pressing the butter into the flour using your fingers until you get the texture of course wet sand.
- In a measuring cup, whisk the lavender honey into 1 cup of the buttermilk.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add in the buttermilk mixture. Fold with a spatula or turn the dry ingredients using a pastry scraper until the dough just forms. Be careful to not over work. Sprinkle with flour and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface and form it into a circle that is 1" thick by folding.
- Cut down the middle and then across, creating 4 big scones. Then cut those 4 big scones in half, leaving you with 8 scones. Transfer to a prepared sheet pan.
- Brush the scones with the remaining 1 tablespoon of buttermilk and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the scones have risen and the tops are medium golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a rack.
To Make the Glaze:
- In a measuring cup, measure out 1/3 cup boiling water. Add the tea and allow to steep for about 3 to 4 minutes. Strain and save the leaves for a re-steep to enjoy with your scones!
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon lavender honey and 2 tablespoons of earl grey tea, then add and whisk powdered sugar a few tablespoons at a time until smooth and barely pourable. Drizzle the glaze over the scones and enjoy!