An herbal twist on a classic recipe, these La Provençale lemon bars will make your whole house smell like a lavender and lemon dream. They are a sure way to brighten up any rainy, chilly, or dreary Spring day. This blend includes aromatic lemon balm, lavender, rosemary, and mint, and is featured as our Wellness Tea of the Month special, starting May 15th.
Ingredients for the Shortbread:2 t La Provençale Herbal Tisane
¼ t salt
1 ¼ c AP flour
1/2 c good butter
¼ c sugar
Short Bread Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, salt, and La Provençale.
- Transfer to a bowl, add in softened and cubed butter, then bring together the dough by hand kneading.
- Press dough into a 9x9 panned, lined with parchment paper.
Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, then bake for 25 minutes, or until the edge of the shortbread crust is golden brown.
For the Lemon Filling:⅔ c fresh lemon juice
1 T lemon zest
1 ⅓ c sugar
3 T AP flour
⅓ c milk
La Provençale Herbal Blend
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Combine sugar and lemon zest in a bowl until the oils from the zest have been absorbed by the sugar. Then add flour.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl.
- Combine sugar, flour, and lemon zest mixture with the eggs, lemon juice, and milk.
- Stir well, then pour over the shortbread crust.
- Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and garnish: sift powdered sugar and sprinkle La Provençale herbal leaves over the bars.
Enjoy La Provençale Lemon Bars with your favorite tea!